Winter has well and truly set in, and unfortunately our hair can be the first to show signs of it. Experiencing dry and dull hair with signs of breakage, but unsure how you can combat it? Don’t worry, with our ultimate guide to winter hair care tips, you’ll be celebrating silky smooth, healthy hair in no time!
- Limit your use of blow dryers and curling irons – Your hair is drier in the colder months, and using heated appliances adds to this, meaning more damage and breakage. Avoid where possible, and if you’re staying indoors, give your hair a break and leave to dry naturally.
- Don’t over-brush! Your hair is more brittle during wintertime, so make sure you’re gentle with it. Comb through your hair with a wide tooth-comb, followed by a tangle teezer to avoid as much breakage as possible.
- Regular trims – Your hair is prone to split ends in winter, so by having regular trims, you’ll be preventing split ends from travelling up and causing irreparable damage.
- Less is more; avoid washing your hair everyday. This isn’t just for the cold months, but it’s even more important around this time of year. Washing your hair frequently strips it of the natural oils and dries out. Dry shampoo is your friend!
- SLS-free moisturising shampoo and conditioners are a must. Many shampoos and conditioners contain sulphates which are extremely strong on your hair. Great for a clarifying clean every now and again, but certainly too harsh for the winter as they’re simply too drying for your hair and scalp.
- Resist the urge to have a hot shower – We know it’s freezing, and the last thing you want is a cold shower, but opt for warm instead of hot… your hair and skin will thank you! Washing your hair with lukewarm water will help lock in the moisture and give your hair extra shine, instead of drying it out like hot water will.
- Use leave-in conditioner after every wash, focusing on the ends than the roots – this is where you have the most breakage from exposure to heat.
- Heat protection spray is a MUST if you’re going to blow-dry, or use any other form of heated appliance on your hair!
- Treat your tresses to a weekly hair mask – a deep conditioning treatment can do wonders bringing moisture back in the winter months.
- Oil treatments are just what the hairdresser ordered! Whether it’s argan, coconut or almond oil, hot or otherwise, you’ll see a noticeable difference to your hair – not to mention they’re great at taming fly-aways which we’re prone to during winter.
- Cover up – One of the best ways to protect your hair from the harsh weather is to simply cover it up! Plus you’ll stay extra toasty – win/win situation right?! That being said, you’ll need to make sure that you don’t cover your head too tightly or restrict circulation to your scalp.
- Updos aren’t just stylish, they’re functional too. Having your hair up will help to protect from the elements if you’re not interested in having hat-hair. Try wearing styles that don’t need much maintenance. You might be tempted to comb your hair throughout the day or top it up with hairspray/volumiser. The extra manipulation can cause an increase in shedding as well as those annoying split ends.
- Smart bond love – If you’re having your hair coloured, be sure to opt for Smart bond by Loreal! This revolutionary new product is on everyone’s lips and really works wonders on rebuilding the structure of the hair whilst colouring, perfect for frazzled hair needing a little TLC. Smart bond by Loreal is now available at RM-UK, so next time you book in for a colour, make sure you ask for more information on how you can add life back into your locks!
Want to book in for your regular trim? Have questions about Smart bond? Need any more questions answering? Feel free to Ask the Expert Online, use the Contact Us Form or you can simply give us a call on: (0113) 243 6842