By RMUK on May 11th, 2012
Reactions of one kind or another to the use of hair dye products are not that uncommon. They range from irritation occurring locally in areas in direct contact with the dye, to genuine allergy which will provoke local symptoms but may also produce a systemic reaction affecting other areas of the body.
In both cases the symptoms can vary from very mild to quite severe.
To avoid unnecessary reactions, RMUK offer a simple, easy to use skin allergy test that is standard within the professional hairdressing industry and is used to help indicate if the client is likely to have a problem with the hair dye.
Clients are allergy tested 48 hours before every colouring treatment to ensure there are no bad reactions; the records are then kept for future reference.
The allergy test involves applying a small amount of the prepared dye to an area of skin in an out of the way place. Most frequently, the skin behind the ear or on the inside of the arm at the elbow is used as this skin is relatively thin and sensitive. During the allergy test the area of skin used should be left untouched and uncovered during the 48 hour duration of test.
If redness, burning, itching, pain, or blisters and eruptions develop at or near the site of application during the two day test it means you are sensitive to the dye and you should not use it.
RMUK will not colour a client’s hair without an allergy test beforehand, this is to ensure the safety of the client.